What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage uses techniques for the specific benefit of all sports and exercise participants and for those with work and posture-related restrictions.
It releases muscle tension and restores balance to the musculoskeletal system, reducing strain and discomfort and encouraging the body to heal and repair any injuries sustained.
Sports massage covers the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body, e.g. muscles, ligaments and tendons.
How can Sports Massage help you?
- Improves circulation and lymphatic flow
- Assists in the removal of metabolic waste
- Sedates or stimulates nerve endings
- Increases or decreases muscle tone
- Increases or decreases muscle length
- Remodels scar tissue when required
- Assists in mental preparation for sporting participation
Sports massage can be beneficial at various stages of participation. For example:
- The conditioning/training phase
- Pre-, inter- and post-competition
- Injury prevention
- Injury recovery
A typical Sports Massage session
An initial Sports Massage session at the Westoe Practice, South Shields will take approximately 60 mins.
This will involve an in-depth consultation taking time to understand any symptoms, medical history and lifestyle.
The Sports Massage therapist will then focus on areas of pain and dysfunction, utilizing a variety of techniques to reduce tension and aid recovery.
Massages can be for 60, or 90 minutes.